Spinal pain, radiating to the back of the head, ribs, or legs, is caused by compression of the nerve roots in the intervertebral discs.
In medicine, this manifestation has an official name, osteochondrosis, and it is divided into different departments based on location, leading to differences in symptoms and treatment.
Today, many non-traditional treatments are used to treat the degenerative dystrophic process of the spine, which was known for decades. At that time, medicine was not developed enough, and some people could not access it at all.
Folk remedies for osteochondrosis were practiced by our great-grandfather, so it can be said that folk remedies have passed the test of time and cured many people.
Concept and Features
Osteochondrosis is a degenerative disease of articular cartilage and adjacent bone tissue.
In medicine, this term refers to the characteristic exhausting and dystrophic changes of the intervertebral disc.
Due to neglect of the disease, a person may experience pain from pinching a nerve root, or herniation of the nucleus pulposus from rupture of the annulus fibrosus, which is called a herniation.
The presented disease is "rejuvenated" to some extent. If even 10-20 years ago, most patients were elderly or citizens over 50, and the cause of osteochondrosis was due to age-related disc erasure and loss of original elasticity, the disease today is diagnosed asYoung people due to sedentary lifestyle.
Osteochondrosis can be called the scourge of our time, as office work and prolonged computer play cause the entire musculoskeletal system to "stall".
If you don't pay attention to your back pain, which is usually noticeable in the morning, you risk making the situation unpleasant such as spinal disorders, disorders of the entire musculoskeletal system, and nervous system. Cases of running can result in quadriplegia and partial or complete immobility of the person.
Kind of disease depends on localization
The human spine consists of vertebrae, each of which belongs to a specific department. Here is the difference:
- neck area - 7 vertebrae;
- Thoracic area - 12 vertebrae;
- Lumbar spine - 5 vertebrae;
- Sacrum - 5 vertebrae;
- Coccyx - 3-5 vertebrae.
Osteochondrosis, in turn, can be classified according to where it occurs, where it can be distinguished:
- Cervical spine sector - episodes of dystrophic changes that begin after prolonged resting positions. The pain gets worse every time you move your head or sneeze. Signs of presentation include pain in the back of the head, shoulders, migraines, increased blood pressure, and dizziness.
- Thoracic region - Failure in this region is rare because the thoracic spine can't actually handle the pressure. Pain is often thought of as a disease of the heart and other internal organs. Band-like pain in the ribs and abdomen is characteristic and subsides with location.
- Lumbar Region - Shooting pain that causes a person's characteristic immobility, which is explained by osteochondrosis in the lumbar region. Left untreated leads to numbness and paralysis of the legs, urogenital dysfunction, and urinary incontinence is often diagnosed.
Exacerbations of osteochondrosis in any department can be caused by physical activity, inflammation in the body, and hypothermia. Recovery can take anywhere from a few weeks to a year.
Traditional Medicine Methods for Treating the Disease
The treatment of osteochondrosis at home with folk remedies plays an important role.
Thus, for example, a sudden onset of pain can be perfectly eliminated by various effective traditional medical methods.
It should also be noted that osteochondrosis is an inflammatory process of the spinal nerve roots and muscles located near the affected area.
Pinching can lead to impaired circulation, which means a lack of nutrients. The main task of any traditional medical method is to relieve pain and inflammation, thereby restoring blood circulation.
In addition to the described traditional medical treatment tasks, the following positive aspects can be distinguished:
- The ingredients of any product contain only natural ingredients that do not cause side effects.
- Some herbs are more beneficial than drugs that are high in chemicals.
- Since the medicines are cheap, any citizen can use traditional medicines.
If we talk about the negative aspects of traditional medicine, then it is necessary to note the slowness of the patients themselves, who started to self-medicate without a complete and thorough diagnosis to determine the cause of back pain.
As a precaution, you should consult your doctor about using the method of choice as a treatment.
Treatment of cervical spondylosis
Experts recommend regular exercise for office workers and drivers to improve blood circulation and prevent osteochondrosis.
Here, a non-persistent head turn to the sides, with the head tilted forward and backward is appropriate. All actions went smoothly.
To be more efficient, create a load on the neck muscles: tilt your head to the side and block the movement with your hands.
Circular movements and sharp head tilting backwards with cervical osteochondrosis are strictly prohibited. This can lead to cervical disc damage and prolapse.
For cervical osteochondrosis, in addition to exercise, it is recommended to do compressions at night to perfectly eliminate pain and inflammation.
You can find the recipe here:
- A compress of potatoes and honey. To prepare the medicinal composition, boil potatoes in uniform. Form the hot tubers into a ball and add the sparingly soluble honey in a 1: 1 ratio. The composition is mixed thoroughly and cakes are molded from it. It is applied to the painful area, covered with polyethylene, and wrapped in a wool scarf at night.
- Horseradish leaf compress. Blanch a piece of horseradish in boiling water and apply it to the damaged cervical spine. Cover sheets with polyethylene and wool scarves. Leave overnight. Do not use this method if you feel a burning sensation on your skin.
- To counteract the inflammatory process, use herbal tinctures. Mix equal parts dry and pre-crushed hops, chamomile and oregano. Pour a tablespoon of the collection into a glass of boiling water, pour it into a dark container, and let it sit for three days. After the time has elapsed, infuse with a spoon twice a day.
All of these methods are also applicable to the treatment of osteochondrosis in other departments. Either method should only be used after consulting a doctor.
Treatment of the lumbar spine
Treatment of lumbar osteochondrosis at home should be done as soon as you wake up.
Lying in bed, you need to do some exercise. Immediately after waking up, stretch on your back, stretching your legs and socks.
Lock this position for a minute. Here are some exercises you can do:
- Legs, pre-bend at knees and pull to chest. Repeat a few times with one leg, then change and repeat the exercise.
- Raise your leg at a right angle a few times. Switch legs and repeat the same number of times.
- Bend your legs at your knees and lift your pelvis for a few seconds.
In the evening, lumbar osteochondrosis can be treated at home with a compress or ointment. To prepare the compress, take 700 grams of butter and 2 cups of birch sprouts.
Combine ingredients and knead overnight. Tie with plastic wrap and a wool scarf. Leave overnight.
To make the ointment, roll the garlic in a meat grinder and mix 1 tablespoon with 2 tablespoons of lard. The ointment is rubbed on the lower back.
To treat osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine, lingonberry soup is used. Pour a tablespoon of crushed lingonberry leaves in a cup of boiling water and bring the composition to a boil over low heat in an enameled saucepan.
After boiling for 15 minutes, the broth was filtered and used for oral administration. Drink three tablespoons of the filtered broth daily.
If the chest area is affected
The treatment of osteochondrosis in the chest area is based on gymnastic exercises, therapeutic baths and the use of homemade ointments at home. You can use the following methods:
- For a therapeutic bath, add 400 grams of celandine or dandelion flowers to 5 liters of boiling water. Cover the container with a blanket for two hours. Drain the composition into the prepared bath at a temperature of 38-39 degrees Celsius. One bath only takes 15 minutes. The course of treatment lasts 15-20 days.
- To prepare the ointment, combine the crushed ficus leaves and butter in equal parts. The composition was kept in a warm oven for two hours. The filtered and cooled composition was rubbed into the affected area overnight.
- For rubbing, you can prepare a combination of 100 grams of crushed clove petals and 200 grams of olive oil. Leave the assembly in the water bath for half an hour. Apply the filtered and cooled mixture to the thoracic spine and rub thoroughly.
As gymnastics, you can use backbend exercises. For deflection, you should sit in a chair, place your palms behind your head, and bend back as you exhale. Repeat several times.
Do the same exercise with all fours. As you exhale, bend your back back and hold in this position for a few seconds.
The fight against osteochondrosis can go on for a long time and requires the patient not only to comply with all the doctor's prescriptions, but also to rule out all the factors causing the deterioration.
Pathology can be treated not only with drugs, but also with folk remedies. To do this, choose the most effective methods and recipes that are safe and do not cause allergic reactions.
With prompt treatment, the consequences and complications of osteochondrosis are not dire for a person. But before using any method, you should get a thorough diagnosis and consult your doctor.